Sustainable Resource Use and Management
The purpose of Programme: Sustainable Resource Use and Management (SRUM) is to provide sustainable resource management solutions and methodologies through the provision of agricultural engineering and LandCare services, pro-active communication, facilitation and implementation of projects as well as technology transfer to our clients and partners.
The Programme is also responsible for the implementation and management of disaster aid schemes and to provide comments on applications for sub-division and/or rezoning of agricultural land.
The Programme is structured into four sub-programmes, namely:
- Agricultural Engineering Services
- Land Use Management
- Disaster Risk Reduction
The strategic objectives of the Programme: SRUM are:
- Provide engineering support (planning, development, monitoring and evaluation) with regards to irrigation technology, on-farm mechanisation, value adding, farm structures, resource conservation management, operation and maintenance of farm equipment, machinery, tools and implements solutions
- Promote the sustainable use and management of natural agricultural resources
- Promote the implementation of sustainable use and management of natural agricultural resources through regulated land use (Act 43 of 1983 and Act 70 of 1970)
- Provide support services to clients with regards to agricultural disaster risk management.