The Market Acces Programme
The Market Access Programme sets out to strengthen the economic sustainability of black smallholder and commercial producer farms by addressing the upstream and downstream market access challenges across the value chain. Through this programme, the following services are delivered to farmers.
Training and Capacity Buiding
- Support farmers to attend market access and/or food safety related training and to participate in the Market Access study tour. The Market Access study tour is an annual trip organized by the Western Cape Department of Agriculture for fruit farmers to expose them to the global fruit value chain. After visiting the various parts of the fruit chain in the Netherlands, the farmers proceed to Fruit Logistica trade fair in Germany, Berlin. For more information on Fruit Logistica, kindly visit http://www.fruitlogistica.de/en/
Facilitation of Market Linkages
- Link agribusinesses in search of markets with potential buyers.
Support Compliance of Farms with Food Safety and Quantity Standards (e.g. SA GAP and Global GAB, etc.)
- Support farmers to comply with South African Good Agricultural Practices (SA GAP). For more information on the SA GAP Certification Programme, kindly visit http://webapps.daff.gov.za/AmisAdmin/upload/Final%20Draft%20from%20Communication%20-%2026-05-16.pdf
- Support farmers to comply with Global GAP.
- Support food processing companies with product testing services such as nutritional analysis, microbiological analysis, physical analysis, chemical analysis, etc. for market access purposes.
For other compliance support, please see contacts further below.
Support participation of farmers in Market Development Initiatives
- Support farmers to exhibit and promote local niche agricultural products, specialty products and/or unique products at the Cheese festival under the banner Cape Made Kitchen: Taste the Alternatives. For more information on the Cheese festival, please visit http://www.cheesefestival.co.za
- Support agri-processing businesses to participate in Food and Hotel China trade show. Food and Hotel China is an international annual exhibition for food, beverages, hospitality, food services, bakery and the retail industries. For more information on Food and Hotel China, please visit http:/fhcchina.com
Provide Business Development Support Services to farmers
Should you need any advice or assistance, please contact the following individuals:
- Support agribusinesses with promotional material (e.g. banners, brochures, flyers, etc), packaging material (e.g. plastics, bottles, glass jars, etc.) and labelling material (e.g. stickers).
- Support agribusinesses with design and/or development of website for marketing and promotional purposes.