Co-operative Development & Support
When a need for the establishment of a co-operative has been identified, information sessions will be held with the beneficiaries, so that relevant information around the ethics, values, working of, advantages and disadvantages of co-operatives could be explained and discussed. Only after the sessions and if there is still interest in forming the co-operative, the registration process will start. To be eligible to be register as a co-operative the members of the co-operative must attend all the sessions.
The establishment of co-operatives are the responsibility of an agricultural economist, dealing with co-operative co-ordination.
STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE
Step 1: Conduct a need analysis for the following issues:
- Identify the objectives (exactly what the co-operative aims to do)
- Equipment, buildings and other materials needed in the enterprise
- Financial requirements (how are you going to obtain this?)
- Premises (where the co-operative will be allocated)
- Human capital
- Identify interested members
- Invite them to the meeting
- Present the concept
Step 2: Election of Steering committee which will be responsible for the following:
- Draw up a business plan
- Draw up a constitution, which will lay down the procedures to be followed by the co-operative in achieving its aims and objectives
- Ensure the smooth operation of the co-operative and provide supervision
- Determine possible names for the co-operative
Step 3: Convening of formation meeting:
- Election of the first board of directors
Step 4: Meeting of Board of Directors and Registration of co-operative:
- Completing the following documents with the Registrar of co-operatives; CR1, 4 and 8
- Proof of payment for registration
Step 5-8: Registration process
Step 5: Register as a customer with CIPC to ensure customer code. Complete name reservation forms.
Step 6: Complete forms for registering co-operative (CR1, 4 and 8)
Step 7: Pay the registration fee (R215,00) and use the customer number that you obtained
Step 8: Submit registration forms together with proof of payment to CIPC, Private Bag X237, Pretoria, 001.
If you need any advice or assistance please contact the following individuals: