WESTERN CAPE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
COMPREHENSIVE AGRICULTURAL SUPPORT PROGRAMME (CASP)
The Comprehensive Agricultural Support Programme (CASP) is a national governmental initiative, which was established in the year 2003. The aim of the programme is to support provincial departments of agriculture (PDAs) to create a favourable environment for emerging farmers and to expand the provision of support services for the development of agriculture. CASP has six pillars: information and knowledge management, technical and advisory assistance, and regulatory services; training and capacity building; marketing and business development; on-farm and off-farm infrastructure and production inputs.
CASP is currently being administered under Programme 3: Agricultural Producer Support and Development of the Western Cape Department of Agriculture, in association with its governmental implementation partner, CASIDRA (Pty) Ltd. The APSD programme is centred on the six above mentioned priority areas of CASP to ensure that farmers are empowered to effectively manage their farming enterprises. It was identified that providing land and capital is not enough and that continuous extension services and assistance should rather be provided to farmers to ensure they manage these funding mechanisms obtained from the national government in a more ordinal manner.
Agriculture-related projects that include vulnerable communities in the Western Cape, according to the following four levels:
- Household food security and subsistence
- Farm and business level activity
- Agricultural macro-system: consumer and economics environment
Application requirements for CASP assistance
- It must be a land reform initiative.
- It must contribute to food security
- The project must have a minimum lease agreement of five years (at the date of application), as a food security project.
- It must have a minimum lease agreement of nine years and eleven months (at the date of application) as a commercial project.
- Projects that benefit women, youth and disabled persons are prioritised.
- Projects that have the potential to enhance job creation are prioritised.
- Projects must have the potential to become economically viable and sustainable.
- Projects should demonstrate the potential impact of the grant on the viability of the project.
The application process for CASP assistance
- A CASP request form can be obtained from any of the below-mentioned district offices of the Provincial Department of Agriculture. It is important to ensure that a completed CASP request form and a detailed business plan is handed in to the nearest provincial district office.
- Ensure that your business entity is registered at the district office. This serves as a recommendation for the application process.
- The Western Cape Department of Agriculture serves the right to allocate the funding in accordance with its own discretion and the availability thereof.
- Please note that the approved funding will not be directly disbursed to the business entity, but that the funding will be administered by the governmental implementation agency CASIDRA (Pty) Ltd and commodity formations.
Applicants should note the following:
- Applicants are required to declare previous government support, failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification.
- There is no guarantee that the application will be approved or funded in full. The Department of Agriculture reserves the right to only approve critical items deemed necessary by its delivery structures.
- NB: Civil servants and public office bearers and those working for parastatals are excluded from the grant support listed above.
|District||Town||Physical address||Contact number|
|Head Office||Stellenbosch||Muldersvlei Road, Elsenburg, Stellenbosch||Tel: 021 808 5112|
|Garden Route||George||Outeniqua Research Farm, Old Airport Road||Tel: 044 803 3748|
|Little Karoo||Oudtshoorn||PO Box 351, Oudtshoorn, 6620||Tel: 044 203 9411|
|Central Karoo||Beaufort West||104 Bird Street, Beaufort West||Tel: 023 414 2126|
|Overberg||Bredasdorp||Albert Myburgh Hostel, Golf Street, Bredasdorp||Tel: 028 425 4806|
|Cape Winelands||Stellenbosch||4th Floor, ABSA Building, Plein Street, Stellenbosch||Tel: 021 808 7050|
|Cape Metropole||Goodwood||Goulbourn center
C/o Voortrekker& Goulbourn road, Goodwood
|Tel: 021 483 7785|
|North West Coast||Vredendal||PO Box 130, Vredendal, 8160
C/o Matzikama and Noordweg Street, Vredendal,
|Tel: 027 213 2000|
|Swartland||Moorreesburg||42 Lang Street, Moorreesburg||Tel: 022 433 2330|
Alternatively, you can visit: http://www.elsenburg.com