You are here:
Research and Technology Development Services
The Programme, through its sub programmes: Research, Infrastructure Support Services and Information Services, renders a research, research support and information service to all stakeholders within the Province. In order to specifically support competitiveness and sustainable agriculture with cutting-edge technology, three centres of excellence, viz. Directorates of Animal Sciences, Plant Sciences and Resource Utilisation were established in 2004. Laboratory Services are also offered.
The sub programme Research executes its research mandate within three Directorates:
Research projects are executed within the six district municipalities. Research priorities are determined through active formal and informal engagements with industries, research peers and other relevant role players in agriculture.
Extensive research infrastructure (including research farms) and herds form part of the research effort. Centres of Excellence are operational at various research farms and brings the latest technology to farmers in that particular region.
Infrastructure Support Services
A pivotal support function to the research effort of the Department and its three research institutes from seven research farms, as well as support services to researchers internally, as well as to external partners (i.e. ARC). This sub programme is also responsible for infrastructure support of the Department, i.e. buildings and research farms.
is responsible for converting research results, as outputs from 180 research projects, into client-focused, user-friendly products, including hard and electronic products.
The main objectives of the programme are:
- To research, develop and adapt appropriate agriculture technology to enable agricultural producers to compete in the modern global economy and to solve production and marketing constraints.
- To transfer appropriate agriculture technology to farmers and other users of natural agricultural resources.
- To provide agro-economic information to serve as a basis for macro and micro economic decision-making.
- To convert the research rand into an information rand to the benefit to all producers in the Western Cape, irrespective of scale.
Products and Services:
- Research results – new and adapted technology – towards competitiveness of clients
- Technical advice based on research findings – industry groups/study groups
- Information packs and publications
- Resource utilisation support (GIS, etc.)
- Analytical services (plant and animal)
- Mentorship of students/interns/YPP programme/links with universities and technikons