You are here:
Mission and vision
The Western Cape Department of Agriculture has the following mission and vision on HIV and AIDS:
- The need to break the culture of silence, stop stigmatisation and discrimination on the basis of HIV and AIDS status, and form effective strategic alliances;
- Establish clearly defined and time-bound HIV and AIDS goals and targets for the Department;
- Shift from small-scale HIV and AIDS projects to large-scale and more comprehensive HIV and AIDS programmes for the Department with new realistic strategies;
- Develop broad-spectrum approaches involving all sectors and themes, including gender and human rights;
- To fight HIV and AIDS and other diseases in a co-ordinated and comprehensive manner which includes lifestyle interventions and sustained action against poverty;
- Providing a supportive environment for staff living with HIV and AIDS.
Corporate social initiatives
The Western Cape Department of Agriculture situates itself within the communities that it serves by providing training and education to its internal staff, as well as external stakeholders in the farming communities. Many workers return to these communities to aid in the continued upliftment and empowerment of these communities and South Africa as a whole.
There are many outreach initiatives at the Department of Agriculture and HIV/Aids and the Special Programme Unit are currently involved in mapping those pertaining specifically to responses to HIV/Aids.
Some of the projects that the Department is involved with are listed below:
- Stellenbosch Aids Action
- Stellenbosch Clinic
- Elsies River Centre for Abused Women