home about contact us news
You are here:


  1. Veterinary and public health frequently asked questions (for example: do I need a permit to move meat/pets/horses?
  2. Cape Institute for Agricultural Training frequently asked questions about learnerships.

FAQ - General

  1. Who deals with rezoning of agricultural property?
    Rezoning and other zoning and agricultural land issues are dealt with by the Programme: Sustainable Resource Management. Contact: Jan Smit.

  2. What is Fairtrade?
    Fairtrade logo
    Fairtrade certification (usually simply Fairtrade or Fair Trade Certifiedô in the United States) is a product certification system designed to allow people to identify products which meet agreed environmental, labour and developmental standards. Overseen by a standard-setting body, FLO International, and a certification body, FLO-CERT, the system involves independent auditing of producers to ensure the agreed standards are met. Companies offering products that meet the Fairtrade standards may apply for licences to use the Fairtrade Certification Mark for those products. Read the complete Wikipedia link here

  3. Who can I contact with regards to import and export of chemicals to/from South Africa?
    National Department of Agriculture
    Directorate Plant Health and Quality
    Sub-directorate Plant and Quality Services
    Private Bag x 5015
    South Africa
    Tel. (**27 21)8091600
    Fax (**27 21) 8832570
    E-mail: AttieJ@nda.agric.za or ElritaV@nda.agric.zaM

  4. I want to lodge a land claim. who should I contact?
    The Department of Agriculture is not responsible for Land Claims, although we are involved in the final stages in an advisory capacity. However, the process is described here.
    Contact details:
    National Office: Tel. (012) 312 8911
    Private Bag X833
    Western Cape Office: (021) 426 2947
    Private Bag X9159

  5. I want to arrange a visit by international delegates to the department of agriculture. Who should I contact?
    Grant R. Fredericks
    Directorate: International Relations
    Dept. of the Premier
    Tel: (021) 483 3322
    Fax: (021) 483 3358
    Cell: 078 456 2038
    Email: Gfredericks@pgwc.gov.za

  6. Who do I contact with regard to import licences?
    Directorate Marketing
    National Department of Agriculture
    Private Bag X15, ARCADIA, 0007
    Tel: +27 (12) 319 8072
    Fax: +27 (12) 319 8077